Thrivent Credit Union response to COVID-19
We're here for you
As we continue through the Coronavirus pandemic, our top priority continues to be the health and safety of our members, staff and our communities. Our commitment to you is as strong as ever and we are here to serve you in this unique environment.
Ways to bank with us
Our TCU branches in Minneapolis and Appleton are currently closed for in person service. Our call center staff is available to assist you with all banking needs from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m., Central time, Monday - Friday. Limited services for personal bank accounts are available 24/7 such as funds transfers, balance requests, as well as reporting fraud or lost/stolen cards.
For in person services, our local Co-Op Shared Branch Network locations are available. Additionally, cash is available to you at any ATM, if you have a Thrivent Rewards Checking withdrawals are free¹. Stay connected to your accounts by using our online banking and mobile banking app. With these tools you can manage your account, transfer funds, make payments and use remote deposit capture to deposit your checks wherever you are. To make contactless payments in stores, you can use your Thrivent Credit Union debit card or credit card with Apple Pay, Google Pay or Samsung Pay.
Please note that the delays in United States Postal Service (USPS) deliveries recently reported in the news have been noticed by TCU's incoming mail and payment services operations. To ensure optimal service, please consider using online banking or our call center to make your loan payments and deposits electronically.
Financial solutions for this time
If you've been financially impacted by the Covid-19 pandemic, you are not alone. TCU is supporting members with offerings such as these:
- The Member First personal loan will be available temporarily, with a significant rate reduction for those experiencing financial hardship. With rates as low as 2.99% APR², loan amounts can range from $1,000 to $5,000, and can be paid back over 24 months.
- If you need to miss your loan payment due to experiencing financial hardship, we have options for missing up to 3 monthly payments, without additional fees.
- Ask a personal banker about the option of no monthly payments for up to 90 days for new or used consumer auto (cars and trucks), loan purchases and refinances.³
- For members with a TCU Education Finance Loan, Education Line of Credit or TCU Education Refinance Loan currently in repayment and experiencing financial hardship, please contact our loan repayment servicing partner, University Accounting Service (UAS), to learn about forbearance options at 877-224-3944, Monday-Friday, 7 a.m.-5 p.m. CT.
- Our Thrivent Standard MasterCard® has a 1.99% intro APR⁴ for 12 months on purchases and balance transfers; after that your variable APR will be 7.99% - 16.99% based on creditworthiness. Read additional important credit terms. To apply online, click here.
- Reserve line of credit to serve as overdraft protection on TCU Checking Accounts. To apply online for this personal loan, click here.
- Call us to discuss any of the options above at 1-866-226-5225, Monday-Friday, 7 a.m.-6 p.m. CT.
- If you need to miss a mortgage payment, or need to discuss available options, please call us at 877-636-4003 or email email@example.com. Forbearance and deferment are programs available for those experiencing financial hardship.
- You may also reach out to resources in your local area. Many non-profits, city or county organizations have developed assistance programs you may be eligible to apply for.
Information on federal stimulus payments
The IRS and U.S. Treasury have issued all first and second Economic Impact Payments. If you did not receive the full amount or any payment, you may qualify for the Recovery Rebate Credit with your 2020 tax return. Please speak with your accountant regarding this process. You can review available information on the IRS Website.
For future possible stimulus payments from the federal or state governments, you may wish to set a text alert* to be notified of a deposit to your account. Follow these steps to add an alert:
- Log into TCU Online Banking at thriventcu.com (not available on the mobile app)
- Hover over 'Additional Services' and choose 'Text Banking and Alerts'
- Click on 'Add an Alert +', then under 'Activity' choose 'Large deposit'
- Check the box for email or text or both to set your alert preference
- Choose the account you would like to be notified about
- Enter the 'equals or exceeds' dollar amount
*Your device must be eligible to receive text messages, and you may incur charges for using text services, depending on your service agreement with your wireless carrier.
Tips to avoid coronavirus scams
TCU wants to remind you that cyber criminals use major news events, like the ongoing pandemic, as an opportunity to increase their online scams, such as phishing attacks. Scammers may be using a number of ways to trick you into taking some type of action, such as:
- Phone calls or text messages that appear to come from legitimate organizations, and in some cases the caller identification may appear to be our Call Center phone number. Do not respond to requests for sensitive information by email or text. TCU will never ask you for sensitive information when calling you. We will ask you for questions to verify your identity. If you are uncomfortable at any time, please hang up and contact us directly at 866-226-5225.
- Emails about coronavirus that include links or attachments for you to click on. Rather than clicking on links or attachments to retrieve information, navigate to a trusted organization’s website.
- Malicious websites that appear legitimate and offer information related to coronavirus, but they’re intended to steal usernames, passwords and other sensitive information. Browse the internet safely.
- Fake or non-existent COVID related charities. Do your homework when it comes to donations. Never donate in cash, by gift card or wire transfer.
- We will be monitoring debit card transactions for fraudulent charges and will be calling or texting if we identify a suspicious transaction. We will never ask for your debit card number or your account number in order to confirm transactions.
Be careful what you post online about you and your family. Photos of Covid-19 vaccination cards should not be shared on social media. Never post content that includes your date of birth, health care information, or other personal information that could be used to steal your identity.
Additional information regarding current, Covid-19 specific scams can be found on the following websites:
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Office of Inspector General provides information on Health Scams
- Federal Communications Commission (FCC) provides consumer resources on Coronavirus Scams
- Federal Trade Commission (FTC) provides advice for consumers to Avoid Coronavirus Scams
- Internal Revenue Services (IRS) provides information regarding Scams related to Economic Stimulus Payments
- General information from Thrivent Credit Union on how to take action to stay secure during uncertain times can be found here.
If you want to receive emails regarding TCU's response to COVID-19, sign-up here.
Understand how your money is protected
The National Credit Union Administration (NCUA) insures our deposit accounts, and you might have more coverage than you think. Learn more.
Financial planning & investment support
Thrivent provides information on market updates at Thrivent.com.
Make a difference from afar
With so many needs around us during these unprecedented times, many of you may be asking, "How can I help?" We know giving back is important to our members, so we’ve provided several ways to help you get started, support your community and make a difference no matter where you are. Our friends at Thrivent make virtual volunteering and online gift matching safe and easy. Learn more.
¹ Thrivent Credit Union reimburses all ATM fees for Thrivent Rewards Checking account, up to 4 fee reimbursements for Simply Checking accounts per month. Automatic ATM fee reimbursement applies to domestic ATM transactions. International ATM transactions are subject to an international surcharge applied by MasterCard that is not reimbursable by TCU. International ATM transactions may require the submission of your receipt for reimbursement of the ATM fee if combined with other fees. ATM fees on business accounts are not reimbursed.
² Interest rate is accurate as of April 1, 2021. Rate is subject to change without notice. This rate requires a 700 or greater credit score and assumes automatic payment from a Thrivent Credit Union account. Other rates and payment options are available. Minimum loan amount of $1,000 and maximum loan amount of $5,000 for a 24-month term. Payment example: A $5,000 unsecured loan with a simple interest rate of 2.99% and a corresponding APR of 2.99% for 24 months equates to a monthly principal and interest payment of $214.18.
³ First payment may be deferred up to 90 days, but interest will continue to accrue during the deferred payment period. Example: A 3-year (36 month) $20,000 loan with a rate of 2.24% that closes on May 17, 2021 will have 34 payments of $609.92 beginning on August 16, 2021. For new or used consumer auto (cars and trucks) loans on purchases or refinances of current TFCU loans or loans at another financial institution. This offer does not apply to business loans or other vehicles such as motorcycles and motorhomes. Your eligibility for this offer and the actual Annual Percentage Rate (APR) is based on your term, payment method, credit history and other credit qualifications. All rates are subject to change at any time without notice. Some restrictions may apply. All loans and lines of credit are subject to credit application, qualification and approval. This offer is subject to end at any time without notice.
⁴ Offer available on new accounts only. All qualifying purchases and balance transfers posted to your account during the first 12 months after the account open date, up to your available credit limit, will receive an introductory 1.99% APR. After the initial 12 month period, the APR for any remaining balances will increase to the standard variable APR for purchases and balance transfers disclosed at account opening (currently 7.99% - 16.99%) based on creditworthiness. This APR will vary with the market based on the Prime Rate. Rates are subject to change without notice.
All loans are subject to credit application, qualification and approval. Restrictions may apply.
This page was last updated 4/26/2021.