Organize all of the documents you'll need when applying for a student loan1 or line of credit2 with this easy-to-follow checklist.
What information do I need to apply?
- Personal information: name, social security number, date of birth, address, number of years you've lived at your address, phone number, driver's license or state ID.
- School information: name, address, academic term for your loan or the initial year of your line of credit (semester, year).
- Employment information (if applicable): name of employer, address, phone number, length of employment, income.
- Reference information (a reference can be a relative or non-relative, but cannot live at your or your co-signer's place of residence): name, address, phone number.
- Co-signer's email address and phone number (if applicable).
- Amount you wish to borrow on your loan or the amount you wish to have advanced in the initial year of your line of credit ($1,000 to $80,000).
- Any additional sources of income that you'd like considered in the loan application.
Consider all student financial aid options
Before applying for a private student loan, we recommend that you first consider all of your options including Federal education loans. We encourage you to maximize grants, scholarships and other free financial aid before taking student loans. Borrow responsibly and take out only what you need.
Complete the FAFSA
To apply for Federal loans, submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online, or get a paper FAFSA application from your high school counselor or college financial aid advisor.
To complete the FAFSA, you will need:
- Social Security number
- Driver's license or state identification card
- W-2 forms
- Prior-year tax return
- Bank statements
1 Certain restrictions and limitations may apply. Thrivent Federal Credit Union reserves the right to change or discontinue these programs without notice. All loans and lines of credit are subject to credit approval and may not be available in certain schools or certain jurisdictions. For more information call us at 866-540-3191.
2 Membership is required when taking a loan out with us. To join Thrivent Federal Credit Union, you must meet the credit union's eligibility requirements, including purchase and maintenance of at least one share in the credit union. The par value of a share in Thrivent Federal Credit Union is $1.00. If at any time your balance falls below the required par value, you will have 180 days to increase the balance or your membership may be terminated.